Welcome to the show about NFTs, digital collectibles, web3, metaverse, play and earn – and the future basically. Today, we are going to speak to someone who is an expert in the arena of NFTs because he has had the opportunity with Filecoin to observe the behaviors and the trends in a very intimate way. Filecoin are the people that are storing the actual NFTs themselves. A decentralized file storage system designed to store humanity’s most important and valuable information. Welcome Jonathan Victor to The Nifty Show to talk IPFS – InterPlanetary File System and NFTs.
WATCH ON YOUTUBE
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST
FEATURED GUEST: Jonathan Victor
Jon Victor has been Head of NFTs at Filecoin for nearly two-and-a-half years, where he’s been working on bringing Web2 into Web3. As one of the world’s leading “Internet Futurists,” he’s spent his career developing protocols that will transform the web. He can provide a distinct POV on how NFT use cases will evolve over the next 20-30 years including highlighting how it will reshape industries like Healthcare (safeguard the confidentiality of health records or tighten supply-chain tracking of medications), Finance (blockchain-enabled financial products), Advertising (NFTs that give advertisers access to specific media buys), and much more.
CONNECT WITH FILECOIN
- 00:00 – Intro
- 1:25 – How did you get here and become the head of NFTs at Filecoin?
- 3:05 – Part of the problem is an awareness problem. What are people trying to do with NFTs?
- 3:36 – So you launched your own decentralized NFT storage, based on IPFS and Filecoin. When we talk about putting an image or a movie or a document on IPFS, that makes it so it is decentralized and can’t be taken down by any third party. Is that correct?
- 06:15 So NFT storage then, you have a lot of big players who are using Filecoin. What are the trends you’re seeing in NFTs that are sticking out to you?
- 07:58 – Profile pictures were the big rage and leading the way through the last bull run. Are profile pictures still where it’s at? What comes next?
- 11:33 – I’ve logged into NFT storage with my GitHub account. I’m going to grab this Robotos NFT or combined image. This is my IPFS ID. There are people that say once you own an NFT, it is yours and nothing can happen, but if I sold this NFT, I can go in and delete this; what happens to someone who then owns that NFT?
- 13:30 – The Bored Ape Yacht Club is stored somewhere, right? If they go in and delete the IPFS file, does that mean there are broken display links for all the BAYC NFTs?
- 14:33 – In other words, a creator can’t rug a collection if they’re using IPFS and make all the images disappear?
- 17:04 – Let’s talk a little bit about the so-called metaverse. NFTs are playing a role in the metaverse. Is this whole world of these metaverses going to be the dominant way that NFTs are adding value via entertainment in the near future?
- 19:26 – The last bull run of NFTs was huge. Do you feel like we’ve not seen anything yet?
- 20:52 – When we look at the technology adoption curve, we are still in the very early adoption for NFTs. What year do you think we will reach mass adoption?
- 25:00 – Outro
Do your own due diligence and research. Neither Joel Comm, Zach Comm nor Travis Wright are FINANCIAL ADVISORS.
We are sharing our journey with you as we learn more about this crazy little thing called cryptocurrency. We make NO RECOMMENDATIONS. Don’t take anything we say as gospel. Do not come to our homes with pitchforks because you lost money by listening to us.
We only share with you what we are learning and what we are investing in. We will never “pump or dump” any cryptocurrencies. Take what we say with a grain of salt. You must research this stuff on your own! Just know that we will always strive for RADICAL TRANSPARENCY with any show associations.